The Montagu Lead Climbing Youth Camp was held over the weekend of the 7th to 9thof April 2017 at De Bos Guest Farm, Montagu. Sixteen children and twelve parents attended, as well as the coaches from Top Out Climbing Club: Caleb Ashley Cooper (Camp Leader), Hannah Ashley Cooper and Matthew Johnstone.
The weekend was filled with amazing climbs, good laughs and some really great climbing. We had a number of firsts this weekend:
· First climb outdoors
· First lead outdoors
· First cleaning outdoors
· First clipping of own draws outdoors
We had some amazing climbs as well, namely:
1. Sarah Adams sent a grade 19 on lead.
2. Nick Allan tried a grade 29 climb.
3. Georgi Dorward sent the grade 19 on lead and top roped a grade 21.
4. Jared Rodrigues sent a grade 21 on lead at Legoland called Buon Giorno Bambina.
5. Jesse Rodrigues climbed a grade 17.
6. Matthew Collier-Reed climbed a grade 17.
7. First time outdoors on real rock for Olav Poland.
8. Olav Poland also led his first lead outdoors, a grade 18 and a grade 19.
9. Sheth Ashley-Cooper led a grade 16 outdoors for the first time.
10. Alyssa Meyer climbed a grade 20.
Our youth climbers won some prizes at the rock rally
1. Sienna Walder won the prize for youngest climber and the prize for her age group.
2. Jesse Rodrigues and Rauen Kröhn won for under 13.
3. Georgi Dorward won for under 15.
4. Sarah and Alyssa won 2nd prize for best dressed.
5. Shanay Meintjes won best fight for the day.
6. Jesse Rodrigues won best cheerer.
The weekend’s weather was really great, apart from a 2 hour downpour on Saturday night.
Friday 7th of April:
17:00pm – Everyone arrive at De Bos Campsite in Montagu
17:30pm – Set up tents and unpack
18:30pm – Prepared Dinner
19:00pm – Registered
20:15pm – Roll call
Saturday 8th of April:
07:30am – Breakfast
08:00am – Briefing for rock rally
09:00pm – Walked to Bold and the Beautiful
13:30pm – We went back to camp for lunch and a swim
15:30pm – We went to the Steeple
17:00pm – Arrive back at camp for prize giving
Sunday 9th of April:
08:00am – Breakfast
08:30am – Pack up
10:30am – We all left for Legoland
13:30pm – Return to De Bos for lunch
14:00pm – Depart De Bos and drive back to Cape Town
05:00pm – Arrive in Cape Town